Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Earthing a tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Earthing a tower
From: Randy <randy@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 22:30:03 -0500
FWIW I *do* recall a gent, on this list, a few years back, that said that lightning had, in fact, caused his concrete *guy anchor* to fail, resulting in the loss of the tower, at some point
some years prior. This was in one of these similar threads.

That's not to say that it's safe to assume anything about the anchor prior to the strike.

I'm merely pointing out that, in the "real world", there appears to be at least one case
of this happening.

I locate underground water leaks here in Florida, and lots of them are caused by lightning, and I've seen *plenty* of spalling associated with those same strikes. And, yes, lightning does do just whatever it wants to do. Enough of it can make it into a home and down a buried 3/4" copper pipe to leak anywhere in the home it wants to. I feel like "most" of the strikes I deal with come down the electrical mains, and yet do not necessarily cause the leak at some point near the electrical service entrance. Whatever the mode may be, however it "gets in", it feels no obligation to cause the leak very near to the outer perimeter of the home, as one might expect...if you "expect" lightning to behave predictably.

73 and HNY
Randy
KZ4RV