[TowerTalk] what is used for gear redux on newer UST products ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] what is used for gear redux on newer UST products ??
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 03:26:16 -0800
I currently have a hub city  “speed reducer”  gear box on my HDX-689  tower.
Now this is the original 5000 lb tower.
Is UST using the same style speed reducer gear box’s  in their latest offerings
??
The entire weight of the tower is sitting on that gear box.   I have heard of
2-3 of em that have either jammed up solid,
or broken inside and come crashing down.

Per hub city, they really were not intended as a hoist to support a vertical
load.   I heard that UST might be using a different gear box
scheme these days.  Does anybody know ?

Thanks in advance

Jim  VE7RF