Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar base for new 18HT installation?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, Allen Brier N5XZ <n5xz@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar base for new 18HT installation?
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 12:10:43 -0800 (PST)
Allen:

I would use some extra rebar if its possible.

When I poured the base fpor my W51 crank up tower I put some extra sections of
rebar in the hole, usually attached to the base.  You can buy pre-cut rebar at
most home improvement centers like Lowes or Home Depot.  I just used the same
twisted wire recommended by folks who poured streets made of concrete.  I also
used a heavier mix of concrete than what was specified.  I used what they call
"6 sack mjix" suposedly the same mix they use in pouring interstate highway
bridges.  My W51 base is still there, no cracks and nothing wrong with it
either.

Also, while the base is curing, take a hose a lightly sprinkle the concrete top
and sides several times a day for a week or more. Be sure and do it lightly, no
deluges.  Curing concrete is exothermic and gives off heat while curing and the
water will help the concrete cure evenly.  I did it with mine and so far no
cracks in the base installed in 1992, etc.  I let my base cure for a month
before attaching the tower to it and pulling it up.

Hope that helps.

Tom, WW5L