Re: [TowerTalk] Caps (was: Hose Clamps)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Caps (was: Hose Clamps)
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 09:20:54 -0500
End Caps, do you need them or don't you?

There are a number o things to consider about using element and boom end caps.

Yes, a spider can bring down a tower. I've seen Aluminum towers badly damaged and even brought down because a spider built a web in a leg. Moisture collected on the web and then froze creating a plog as solid as a mud dobber. Rain then built up and froze, splitting the leg causing it to fail either then or later on when the weakened leg gave way when the wind came up.

Bugs can create a plug in antenna elements, or booms that fail when they can't drain.

I've put up antennas without end caps for years, but I've been lucky.

OTOH I had a whole stack badly damaged when a flock of Cormorants decided to "overnight" on the boom truss of my 7L C3i 6-meter Yagi. They broke the truss which dropped down on to to drivev element and boom of the tri-bander, badly damaging it as well and preventing the turning of the stack. It wore a large holr in the side of the boom. I have a photo, if I can find it.

Of course there is the possibility of vibration induced metal fatigue and element failure that anumber of hams have experienced.

73

Roger  (K8RI)