Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Remote Kit (need a solution)

To: towertalk@contesting.com, larry@w8lig.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Remote Kit (need a solution)
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:14:51 -0500 (EST)
>  At Dayton last year I bought the HDX-555 tower with the  MDP-750 motor
which
I now have installed at my home QTH. In the process of  ordering at
Dayton, I failed to order the RMC-1000 remote kit and Ham Radio  Outlet
forgot to ask me if I wanted that option so bottom line, the tower  came
with the manual kit MCL-100.

>  It would appear to me  that I would need to replace the MCL-100 enclosure
with the two new  enclosures for the RMC-1000 and rewire the limit switches
that already exist,  into the new box. Then it should be just running the
control cable between  the remote head and the tower. Unfortunately, I can't
even buy the parts from  US Tower. So I'm looking for a solution if someone
out there has done this  already. Otherwise I guess I will have to build a
remote kit with some DC  relays to replace the manual toggle that exists
today.

    Actually IMO you're better off. In my book, UP THE  TOWER, in the
chapter on crank-ups, my advice is to always be watching the tower  as it's
moving because if you're not - you can have a calamity. So the safest  way to
raise and lower the tower is to be at the bottom of the tower and be  ready to
shut things down in case something happens. And it does happen.

    Retro-fitting anything to a UST can be  problematic.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams