Re: [TowerTalk] water in EMT conduit

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] water in EMT conduit
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:21:48 -0500
On 2/27/2013 4:55 PM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:

Lets see if I followed the gist of the thread...

If a conduit with no water in it is hermetically sealed it will promote
condensation.

Conduits should be left open so they can dry out.

Sealed conduits will breathe with changes in temp and barometric
pressure and thus admit moisture.

...and so on and so forth...

Well, yah, sorta, almost print near, but not quite

The operative word is "practical"

Gerald is spot on. In theory its possible, but in the practical world? Not likely. He phrased it much better than I.

If you are willing to spend enough and take enough time you could probably get a sealed conduit. Then I have to ask, what would you really gain.

IOW, why do we even bother working so hard to keep water out of the conduit? If there are no connecter in there and the coax is good, what do you gain?

I gave up, don't glue the joints, leave the ends open and don't even attempt to keep water out. I use the conduit for one thing...OK make that two things Protect the coax from mechanical damage and ease of installation. Otherwise I could just leave the cables laying on the ground.

73

Roger (K8RI)