Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings

To: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearings
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:54:07 -0800
Lot's of confusion because commercial "thrust" bearings are really some combination of thrust and radial load bearings. What most hams need with tower installations is a bearing for radial loads, something that will take the side load of the mast above the top of the rotator when mounted in a tower. If the rotator is mast mounted then the rotator bearings have to do all of the work, both thrust and radial and that is why the antenna height above the rotator and wind load is so limited. Many stock towers have sleeves at the top to handle the radial loads or a tapered top section can be used that ends in a sleeve. Usually, these are all that is needed as a bearing. If the tower has a flat top plate with a hole for a "thrust" bearing then a radial bearing needs to be installed to handle the side loads.

Let's apply logic to the situation with the commercial thrust bearing and rotator in a tower and compare them. I don't have either apart in front of me so this is a bit from memory, please respond with the accurate numbers if you have them.

Products that I have used have similar load/stress/wear/corrosion limitations - (not stainless) steel ball bearings in aluminum races (Rohn & Yaesu thrust bearings and HyGain, Yaesu rotators).

The number of bearing balls (they are all about the same diameter) ratio thrust bearing to rotator in simply the ratio of pi * Diameter of the bearing. That ratio varies between 1:2 and 1:4 and probably averages 1:3. Therefore the load is less per ball by that ratio in the rotator, and at first order approximation the rotator life will be greater by the inverse of same ratio. Could you split the loads thrust bearing and rotator? Highly unlikely given this requires a few thousands of an inch accuracy and thermal changes would exceed that amount even if attained once.

Then there is the method of clamping the thrust bearing to the mast. If you are concerned about the stock Orion mast clamp (I have one rotating 40m beam and 86' long 80m dipole, no problems). then surely you view the 3 or 4 grub screws used in a thrust bearing to hold the mast thrust load as a joke. Plus the castings have tapped threads in aluminum for those screws or the castings crack (my Rohn did) if the screws don't strip as tightened. The Orion and Yaesu use grade 8 bolts and nuts to provide mast clamping force - quite a difference. No doubt the K7LXC Orion clamp is better than the stock one, but compare either of these to a stock thrust bearing clamp system.

Could a commercial thrust bearing be used as a radial only bearing? Perhaps not tightening the grub screws onto the mast would work? Not considering the designs I've seen, they require some sort of thrust load to stay together and/or preload the bearing. A plain radial ball bearing would work much better with a loose fit to the mast. If water can be kept out this is an alternative, and be bought as a pillow block assembly, but be prepared to grease it periodically. The plastic radial support bearing ideas presented on the forum are a better alternative IMO. Stacking up 2 or 3 pieces of plastic cutting board with mast sized holes or bore a hole into a 1 to 2" thick chunk of nylon plate (black or MDS filled for UV resistance), will last a long time and be maintenance free.

If that logic isn't convincing, than plan out what it takes to replace a thrust bearing on a multi-antenna mast vs removing a rotator that will last 2 to 4 times longer. It either case it makes good sense to replace the grease every 5 years or so to maximize the life of the bearings. I replace the balls with stainless ones when rebuilding them.

Its clear to me, the standard commercial "thrust" bearing is to be avoided.

Grant KZ1W