Re: [TowerTalk] InnovAntennas contact info

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] InnovAntennas contact info
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 16:41:31 -0400

You're too young to remember the absurd claims that Gotham used to
make for their antennas, or for that matter the craziness that most
amateur antenna manufacturers used to inflict on us in the 80s and
90s.

I'm far from "too young" to remember Gotham.  They were running strong
when I was first licensed.  Fortunately, I did not have any place to
put their yagis or quads but I did fall prey to the Hy-Gain version of
their "all band" vertical tapped coil and all.

One of the truly lasting contributions that Force12 made was
clarification of the difference between dB gain (unqualified), dB
compared to an isotropic radiator and dB compared to a dipole at a
specified height above ground.

That's information that was in the public domain for many years -
antenna manufacturers all knew it and too many amateurs were simply
happy to take the advertising departments at their word without
reading the literature.

Again, those who do not do their own research and expect to be spoon
fed the data get exactly the value they put into the effort. That was just as true 40 years ago with Gotham or 30 years ago with inflated
specs (gain) or today - everyone needs to do his own "homework."

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV