Re: [TowerTalk] CDR TR-2 rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CDR TR-2 rotor
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:43:39 -0400
On 3/27/2013 4:07 PM, John wrote:
Here is an oldie but goodie!  I recently picked up a CDR TR-2 rotor
from ebay.  I can find little information about this rotor, though.
Does anyone have any information on it, like what size of antennas
will it handle, or if the control boxes work with other rotors?  It
came with 2 control boxes, so I have a spare to sell or use with
another rotor.

This family of rotators all look pretty much alike and are pretty much alike

There is a history of their evolution on Wikipedia.

Some have more bearing (3 races instead of two) and I believe the Tail Twisters have SS ring gear and a slightly modified wedge brake.

I don't remember the actual sq ft listing but one of them should handle most any tribander. Many monobander that are well beyond the official ratings have been swung by these rotators for rears. Some old models do not have a brake, but I think those are rare.

Personally I dislike any design that depends on a monstrous gear ratio driven by a tiny motor and has to depend on a wedge brake.

They do work and are relatively inexpensive while parts are still readily available and they are relatively easy to rebuild. Also, most pats are inexpensive and those ball bearing directly from Hy-Gain are about half the price than buying them at the local hardware.

They are about as simple as you can get, just don't lose the parts while you have it apart.

BTW The pigtail that comes on the newer Tail Twisters can be retrofitted to any of the older models, complete with connectors and is a stock item. Used models can often be picked up at a tiny fraction of the new price and the availability of parts usually makes them worth while

They are so simple, I find it difficult that any one can make a living repairing them. Just make sure to put alignment marks on everything and it doesn't hurt to take photos.

Forget about color codes, just keep track of which wire goes where. The colors went through a number of iterations over the years.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

John AF5CC