Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Vertical comparison question

To: "David C. Cole" <dave@nk7z.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Vertical comparison question
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 20:21:44 -0400
I posted earlier on this subject that I have a HyGain AV-640 which I really love.

I just saw in the new HyGain/MFJ catalog today and they now have a HyGain AV-680 which covers all bands from 6 through 80/75. Yes, because it is short on 80 it will have a narrow band segment, but, still, I could be comfortable setting it for the CW or RTTY segment of 80 and be happy not having SSB. Certainly no worse than a mobile 80 meter screwdriver antenna and probably lots better since the AV line is not base loaded like mobile antennas.

I am going to call Tom at HyGain and find out if I can simply buy the resonator for 75/80 and add it on to my 640. According to the catalog, the height is only 6 inches more than the AV-640 ( probably due to the length of the 80 meter resonator.

I had asked them many times a few years ago about extending the antenna to 80 but there seemed to be no interest.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
60 Meters www.60metersonline.net