Re: [TowerTalk] Stub mast strengthening

To: Chris <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stub mast strengthening
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 23:01:28 -0700
I managed to find the answer to a question that has bothered me re reinforcing with internal sleeves - do the ends of an internal sleeve need to be pinned to the outside sleeve to act as a single structural element? Dave Leeson, W6NL in "Physical Design of Yagi Antennas" analyzed this and round tubes are a special case - they will act as a single member without pinning. (page 4-20). This is obviously not the case for sheet structures - it is easy to bend a paperback book or phonebook, even 1000 pages do not act as a single structure with one edge bound.

So this makes it easy to use internal sleeves to strengthen or increase the bending moment of tubular masts, Yagi elements or whatever. Internal sleeves just need enough fasteners or welding to stay in place.

Grant KZ1W