Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding of tower

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding of tower
From: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 11:58:53 -0400
On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>wrote:

> On 5/10/2013 6:34 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
>
>> So if you're driving 30 rods as part of your antenna farm,
>>

> But we do NOT want a connection to earth as part of TX antenna systems

In the case of a radial system on or just below the surface of the earth,
one or many ground rods connected anywhere to the rf ground system should
not hurt, and in limit cases may help, the radial system. You said it
yourself several lines later: the return current flows in the low
resistance wire and not in the lossy earth - that has been added in
parallel with the (superior) wires. If your radial system is indeed the low
Z return path you hope it is, it will carry the return current. If it's
not, then some portion of the current will be forced through the lossier
earth. That is a result of an inferior ground screen, and the presence of
the ground rods isn't going to make it any worse.

Bang in as many ground rods as you like. They shouldn't affect your
superior ground screen for rf purposes, and they may come into play during
surge events.

73,

geo - n4ua

-- the earth is quite lossy, so RF current flowing in the earth WASTES