Re: [TowerTalk] Attaching "flex" cable to crank-up standoffs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Attaching "flex" cable to crank-up standoffs
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 09:52:29 -0400
On 5/14/2013 8:09 AM, Marv Shelton wrote:
So, what do you think is best? RG-213???
I think getting 5 years out of low loss coax is acceptable. I can help force at
least that interval of mainten ance on one's amtennas.

I purchased a 500 foot roll of Davis BuryFlex(TM)
Although not quite as quite flexible as the LMR Ultra Flex, it is still quite flexible and has a very rugged and slippery jacket.

I also have about 500 feet of LMR-600UF for UHF and VHF where I was willing to settle for the shorter life. I also use regular LMR-600 for feed lines that do not require the greater flexibility and on 160 for lower IR losses although it probably doesn't make much difference.

73

Roger  (K8RI).

Best 73's
de Marv WA2BFW/7
(from my iPad)

LMR 400 is not recommended for repeated bending. It has a Copper plated solid
Aluminum center conductor.   OTOH LMR-400UF is very flexible but does not
normally stand up well to out door use. The jacket is a rubber like material
that is easily abraded, catches on most any thing and has a short advertised
life of 10 years.  Best I've gotten out of using it in normal situations has
been around 6 years.  It works very well, but not for long.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73's from Marv
wa2bfw@att.net