[TowerTalk] Is Rohn TB3 Thrust bearing OK to use with "flat spots" on be

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Is Rohn TB3 Thrust bearing OK to use with "flat spots" on bearings?
From: John W <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 10:09:10 -0400
I have an old Rohn TB3 that came with a used tower I bought. Cosmetically it
looks good and spins without any unusual noise, but it feels like the bearings
are somewhat oval in shape instead of round. It's hard to explain, but it's
almost like a sort of ratcheting effect, like there is a little notch every few
degrees, so that it almost 'clicks' into place, but without a clicking sound.

I haven't tested it with a load, but I assume it would probably spin OK with
only a very small increase in friction.

Can it be used like this, or does it need to be repaired?  If it needs to be
repaired, how does it come apart and where can I obtain replacement bearings
for it?

On a related note, is it recommended to use stainless bolts for the set screws
that hold the mast in place, or galvanized?  (The originals are gone.)

Thanks,

John

W2ID