[TowerTalk] Insulator options for 160m vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Insulator options for 160m vertical
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 00:35:41 -0700
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 08:39:27 -0400
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>

<<I am planning a 160m vertical with elevated radials, using Rohn 25G tower
sections.

Years ago Array Solutions had custom made insulators for Rohn 25.  You might
check with them.

Jim, KR9U

##  My concern with those solid fiberglass insulators is.....   any water that
comes down
the inside of the three tower legs   will NOT get past the solid insulators
that are inserted
into the legs.   The solid insulators of course are used to splice two rohn 25
or 45  sections
together.   Water  will  collect and collect and collect, and ditto with any
and all condensation.
Then when it dips below freezing, ice forms and the legs can slit wide open,
etc.   Or the
legs will eventually rust from the inside out.

##  To use those solid insulators,  you would 1st have to drill a 1/8 inch  or
5/32 inch hole on the
inside of each leg, and slightly above the insulator.   Either that and or use
a modified solid insulator
with a 1/8” hole down the inside of each insulator.   Even then, debris could
easily plug em.

##  Dunno what rohn uses to get around this problem with their megabuck
insulated section.

Later... Jim   VE7RF