Re: [TowerTalk] What rotor should I use

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What rotor should I use
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:32:57 -0400
On 6/25/2013 1:20 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
Joe Nuccio wrote:
I have a US Tower MA-40, a MARB and MAF. I also have a SteppIR 3-element
beam. What rotor do I need?

One knowledgeable person about rotors has suggested thatSteppIR's put a

lot of torque back and forth on rotors. He thinks a HAM-IV will
getdestroyed

I'll start by saying I don't like rotators that use wedge brakes.

That said, I've used Ham IVs on 5L 20-meter KLMs which have a 42'boom IIRC and never had a problem. Just use common sense "for the antenna's sake and don't drop the brake while turning at spreed.

There is nothing monstrous about the steppIR, but it is flexible.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Nonsense.  I had an MA-550 up for 30 years with first a KT-34A
and then a 2 element SteppIR.  It was turned with an ancient
Ham-M that over 10 years older than the tower.  Except for the
pot in the Ham-M wearing out, no problems at all.  I also
have a 4 element SteppIR that has turned perfectly for 10 years
with an Alfa Spid rotor.

Rick N6RK