[TowerTalk] M2 KT36XA SWR Problem - Resolved

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] M2 KT36XA SWR Problem - Resolved
From: "Bud Trench" <aa3b.bud@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 19:38:54 -0400
This is a follow-up to my earlier post on a SWR problem I experienced with
one of my 3 KT36XA's.  The link to my previous post is:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2013-06/msg00461.html

W2GD removed the antenna from the tower.  Once on the ground, we removed the
front and rear driven elements and discovered that the front driven element
had a very poor SWR on 10M.  We then ran a piece of AWG 12 wire through the
3/8" tube supporting the 10M and 15M capacitors to clean the tube out.  The
AWG 12 wire pushed a bunch of wet muck out of the 3/8" tube.  We repeated
this operation on the other side of the front driven element and pushed
through some dry dirt.

We next opened the 10M capacitor on the side of the front driven element
that produced the wet muck.  We found drops of very dark water.  We did our
best to dry the capacitor out.  This did the trick and the antenna is now
back to normal.

For anyone interested, here are the resonant frequencies we measured on the
front (after it was cleaned out) and rear driven elements:

Front Driven Element: 14.6 MHz, 21.8 MHz and 28.6 MHz
Rear Driven Element: 14.05 MHz, 20.08 MHz and 28.1 MHz

Thanks to all that supported this project, particularly K1KP, N2IC, K6LL and
W2GD.

73 Bud AA3B