Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 08:28:00 -0400
My answeris simple - It is not cost-effective. They are using extensive lightning grounding at the tower base, and purpose-built transmitter buildings with elaborate grounding systems. 24/7/365 costs.

Compare that to my shack on the second floor of a 170-year-old house with uncertain in-the-wall wiring quality, a long lead to earth ground, and above-ground power, phone and cable Internet. I've tried - with a single point ground at my entry panel, copper-tubing ground buses and very short and heavy ground leads to each piece of equipment, but if you ask me whether a direct strike while connected would result in <5 volts difference in the potential of the various interconnected chassis... well, I'd rather not have Ma Nature ask the question.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.