Re: [TowerTalk] Tower grounding

To: Skip K3CC <k3cc@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower grounding
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:52:30 -0700
Building codes now REQUIRE Ufer grounds in many jurisdictions for new foundations. Codes also REQUIRE that rebar be covered with concrete, usually a minimum of 3" to prevent corrosion ingress along the rods. So it is reasonable to extrapolate that ground wires connected to the rebar should not exit the concrete below grade and certainly ground rods into soils shouldn't be embedded in structural concrete below grade. Per codes, buried connections need to be brazed or Cadweld. Foundation Ufer's are connected to by bending the end of a 20' rebar to above top of the footing so the connecting ground wire isn't buried and the connection can be inspected.

I've read about some ground rods installed into concrete cylinders to increase the soil contact surface area, but don't know how widely this is used.

Grant KZ1W