Re: [TowerTalk] FIRST TOWER & 2ND FLOOR SHACK --HELP

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FIRST TOWER & 2ND FLOOR SHACK --HELP
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 07:14:53 -0700
Sure there are better places to put the polyphasers.  My own are located where
the coax penetrates from outside to inside the building.  The point was that
they need to be put at the "boundary" between "in the shack" and "outside the
shack".  If that boundary is extended by a conductive conduit from the shack
out to the base of the tower or even to the top of the tower then they could be
placed at those points.  Probably not optimal but feasible.  Any breaches in
that boundary such as one unpolyphasored coaxial feed, an unbypassed rotor
cable/control line, or an unfiltered power mains defeats the whole lighning
protection system.  I can't see how it would be easier or cheaper to run
conduit to the top of a tower so for my money the feedline entrance point is
the way to go (better and cheaper, my favorites).

My system utilizes grounding blocks at the top and bottom of the tower for all
the cabling and polyphasors where the cabling enters the building.  I have lots
of ground rods but didn't do the Ufer ground as the installation is in a
wetlands and soil conductivity is excellent.  Its also a pier pin installation.

Earl
N8SS

Message: 3