Re: [TowerTalk] FIRST TOWER & 2ND FLOOR SHACK --HELP

To: "'N3AE'" <n3ae@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FIRST TOWER & 2ND FLOOR SHACK --HELP
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 12:30:39 -0500
Yes it is a problem with crank up towers. But to not bond the coax at the
top and bottom would make the problem worse yet.
The coax is always going to share part of the current on a tower whether it
is bonded or not. Bonding will keep it from arcing to the tower.

On my crank up I bond the top of the top section to the top of the bottom
section with a heavy gauge wire so that it is fully extended when the tower
is all the way up. Not an ideal situation but it may help conductivity some.
However if there is a strike the tower sections will probably arc to each
other where they touch.
When the tower is retracted I often place a clamp around one of the inner
and outer section legs so that there is good contact when the tower is down.

73
Gary  K4FMX