Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x7' hole in sandy soil

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x7' hole in sandy soil
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8ri-on-TowerTalk@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:07:34 -0400
On 8/13/2013 6:57 PM, jeffhook@comcast.net wrote:

To all:

I have a used US towers HDX 555 I'm installing .

US tower sent me new anchor bolts and a print of foundation and it says
undisturbed soil and forms can't be left in hole.

I live in a sandy area and wonder how others have dug a 5x5x7 hole, installed
reb ar cage, and filled with concrete, without it caving in?

Are these showing up. I never see them.

There are times when it is not possible to pour into undisturbed soil. I would ask them(US Towers) specifically what they recommend to use in sand. They may recommend a larger base. but you might have to resort to commercial, metal forms. After the pour cures "enough" the forms are "pulled" which of course takes some power and maybe the services of a contractor.

Because of the unstable soil, I'd want a larger base and as someone else suggested, a base specifically for loose sand would resort to the metal forms even if I had to hire a contractor.

Where I'm putting up the LM470, the soil should be firm enough to pour against the side of the hole (undisturbed soil) but the concrete will need to be poured right away. Even a light rain could cause it to collapse. I only have to go 15 to 20 feet West or north and it becomes more of a peat. When I dug the holes for the 45G guy anchors, I went back the next morning and the NW hole had become about 12 feet across and 1 foot deep.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Thanks - Jeff