Re: [TowerTalk] Towable towers available from the government

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towable towers available from the government
From: Roger <roger@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:06:10 -0400
On 8/16/2013 2:29 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 8/15/13 12:35 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

When I was an instrument tech, excess "stuff" went into a pile and
they'd auction it off a couple times a year to employees only. Potential
liability became an issue some time back and I believe they finally quit
the excess auction.  but private corporation's liability and the
government's are quite different.

At JPL, employees are specifically prohibited from purchasing surplus equipment or dumpster diving. I think this is a generalized government property restriction (I can see how it is too easy to abuse the surplus declaration)

They held "supervised" clean-ups to prevent that, but if it's possible, someone will find a way to abuse the system. Everything just went for a minimum of so many cents a pound and few wanted the larger gauges of wire. Naturally a couple of them were found buying the wire cheap, burning off the insulation and selling it as scrap copper for many times the price. After that, wire went for a minimum of scrap copper price by weight.

As we had to sort out the stuff anyway, it took little time to put it in the dispose pile or sell pile. Dumpster diving was also off limits. If it went in the dumpster, it was gone.

73

Roger (K8RI)