[TowerTalk] Counterpoise / raised ground radial adjustment method

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Counterpoise / raised ground radial adjustment method
From: "Jon Suehiro" <nn5t@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:10:25 -0000
I have obtained HF2V with 160 and 30 meter option after moving to this new
location and ready to put up in the city lot.

If buried radials, the max length I can stretch is probably 30 feet in
limited direction. This is not effective enough to cover the low bands.

So planning to place the zigzag wires along inside the wooden fence. I have
approx 40' long x 8' high surface on one side and 30' long x 8' high on the
other side.

(Since not much concern for direct lightening hit so no plan to place 8'
ground rod(s) at the feeding point unless count as a good addition to RF
ground radial system.)

Maybe 2' tall mast for HF2V and 2 each radials for each band 160/80/40/30.
Planning to stretch the ground radial wires in the height of 2~8' (still in
linear loading).

I don't have any idea how it resonates. Currently planning to place 2 wires
on each band as dipole and check the resonate frequency by antenna analyzer
(AIM4170) but ignoring the impedance.

1. Any merit to add 8' ground rod(s) in addition to the ground radials ?
2. Do I need to be sensitive to each ground wire resonate frequency to exact
1/4 wave length, or (cut the wires to 1/4 wave length but forget about the
actual resonate frequency and) final matching condition must be adjusted at
HF2V tuning process ?
3. Is there any additional merit to add any ground sheet even the surface
can be limited to such 15x 30' to low band vertical (mix of buried and
raised radial systems) ?

Thanks for your advice.

73 de Jon Suehiro NN5T