[TowerTalk] HyTower vs other verticals

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HyTower vs other verticals
From: r miles <greenacres113@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 15:39:32 -0400 (EDT)

I can only state my experience. I can't give charts , numbers or some esoteric computer software predictions. I chase DX. Mostly CW. At this location I've had a Hustler & a Hygain trap vertical. Modest radial system. Two yr.s ago I put up a used HyTower. With a better radial system. 25 buried radials each apx 80' long. The HT is far & away the better on 40m. It's primary usage band. On 75m where I do go chasing DX it's a very good performer. The only better 40m ant. to me would be a gain ant. such as a yagi or quad. I have an 80m 1/2 sq. wire array too. The HT & it are pretty close in performance on 80m. In the directions the wire array is broadside. The HT is better in the directions off the ends of the wire array.

I can't imagine removing the band stingers. You never know. I always try to have a back up ant. for each band. I try to be prepared for some rare one if my primary ant. is out of service. A modest ant. is a lot better than NO ant. or a dead one.

I also had a 30m monoband 1/4 wave vertical up. With a good radial system. It was better than the wire I had up. Three yr.s ago I replaced the 30m vertical with a 2 ele Moxon yagi. A world of difference. Half the stn.s on 30m use verticals or tune their 80m or 40 wire ant. The Moxon is head & shoulders above that. Built from RL Cebiks data it's only the size of a normal 2 el 20m monoband yagi.

My HT is rated to be selfsupporting in up to 75 MPH wind. I had a stronger gust just before last Christmas. HT folded at the base & broke the insulators. It is now repaired & vertical again. I'm using 4000# t/strength 5/16'' non metal guys. I noticed no change in performance. I just added the Hygain inverted L 160m add on. Not cut properly yet so this winter season it'll get a try out when I get it tuned.

I've always wanted a HT. It was beyond my means. Rarely are they for sale. Like a good radio, guys don't part with equipment they are happy with. They go used for $400 to $500. I'd rather spend that than $250 for some 24' modern trap vertical if I could afford it. I brought my HT from Fl to NW Tn on my car roof racks. Not ever been sorry I finally got one. It's a pain putting in a yard of concrete for the base but the performance on 80/75m & 40m is great. It tunes FB with excellent SWR on the other bands but I have yagis on those bands so I don't use the HT there.

If I could only be able to have 1 antenna for all bands I'd want a HyTower.

K9IL