Re: [TowerTalk] Fixed capacitor source needed (150pf 5KV)

To: herbs@vitelcom.net, topband@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fixed capacitor source needed (150pf 5KV)
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 11:18:06 -0400 (EDT)
Herb, an Ebay search for 150 pf capacitor shows a source in the Ukraine for
 4 ea 150pf 6kv ceramic capacitors for $10.75.

If you are into home brewing some caps, one can use copper plates and
teflon insulators. The needed formulas are in the ARRL handbook. The design
would start with 150 pf and adjust for the dielectric constant of teflon. Then
the air dielectric value (approximately 150 times .68) and the dielectric
thickness is used to determine the surface area required.

Normally the chassis or enclosure is used for one of the capacitor plates
and a copper (could be aluminum) plate is used as the second capacitor
plate. A  single screw with a suitable insulator is used to hold the thing
together.

Other dielectric material can be used as well by adjusting the dielectric
constant as needed.

Some really robust capacitors can be built this way but they are somewhat
larger than conventional capacitors.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/3/2013 7:48:12 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,