Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions

To: "TT TowerTalk" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 08:22:11 -0500
I have recently replaced my 30 year old TH-7 on 50 feet of Rohn 45G with a new TH-7 on new Rohn 45G. The boom length and maximum element of the TH-11 and the TH-7 are the same; these are big antennas for a small lot and a small tower. With the TH-11 on any rotor mast length you need to understand you will loose at least 24 inches to the boom support assembly and another 18 inches or more from the tower top to the rotor. A big antenna well above the tower top / bearing plate requires a strong mast. A 10 foot Rohn (DOM) mast is well over $170!

The difference in forward gain of the TH-11 and a Hex beam on 20m is about 3 db or half a S-unit. I can't give you a recommendation, but I've decided my next antenna is going to be a Hex beam.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

-----Original Message----- From: Avery Davis