Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions

To: Chris <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:38:34 -0400

I did the same study almost 10 years ago using AO (the results should
be in the archives) comparing the Cushcraft 20-10 meter LP, the Force
12 C3e and original three element SteppIR.

The 18 foot Cushcraft was nowhere near close to even the C3e on any of
the three "primary" bands with the gain deficit running between 1.5 and
2 dB and pattern deficit (F/R) on the order of 5 to 7 dB.  Remember the
C3 is a *two element* tribander - it has only two active elements per
band except for 10 Meters (C3e has three active elements on 10) so your
comparison, which is generous based on my studies, is to a two element
antenna with a maximum effective (active) boom length of around 8 feet.
I doubt there is more than a fraction of a dB difference between the
Cushcraft and Tennadyne designs as LP parameters are fixed based on
boom length and number of elements with only minor differences based
on exact design bandwidth and phasing line impedance.

When the 8 element LP is compared to a real three element yagi (the
SteppIR), the LP loses by an average of 3.1 dB per band with as much
as 12 dB poorer F/R.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV