Re: [TowerTalk] Wiring Sky Needle tower for 220 VAC

To: Wilson <infomet@embarqmail.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wiring Sky Needle tower for 220 VAC
From: Mike Fahmie <wa6zty@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 20:11:14 -0800 (PST)
I view a stalled motor as being similar to a transformer with the secondary
shorted.  The current will be limited only by the winding resistances and the
leakage reactances.  Surprisingly, the PF is only slightly lower at start-up.

Use caution when compensating PF of a motor that might sometimes look like a
generator (tower lowering).  In those applications, the compensating capacitor
usually resides on the line side of the switch.

-Mike-