Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Guy Anchors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Guy Anchors
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 06:22:19 -0800
On 11/9/13 12:26 AM, Michael Tope wrote:
Except for mention on W8JI's website, I haven't seen much mention of
"bust open" anchors as an option for amateur tower guying:

http://www.w8ji.com/screw_in_guy_anchors.htm

I'd be curious to know if they would be a good choice for very sandy soil.

You'd need to talk to the anchor mfr.. That rusty thing on W8JI's site is interesting looking, but some casual googling didn't turn up anything useful.

The screw in anchors that are shown on that page are tiny little things, compared to some of the ones I've seen.

Here's a report from A.B. Chance (who make anchors) on "cohesionless soil"

http://www.abchance.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/01-9411.pdf

I'm not sure what the test condition was.. they're applying a specified load and reporting the deflection.
kips = 1000 pounds force.

so the first line, an 8 inch helix installed 19 feet down, shows 45,000 lb force with a deflection of 0.311 inches.. I assume the force is axial, but it doesn't say that.