Re: [TowerTalk] K9YC vertical dipole test....

To: "'Dan Maguire'" <djm2150@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] K9YC vertical dipole test....
From: "Peter FORBES" <prforbes@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 23:19:06 +1100
Hi Dan,

Some great animations!

Firstly, I should set the scene as to why I posed the original question.

If you go back to the original question asked by James Setzler, K1SD on
14/11/13,  James was talking particularly about the 80mx and 40mx
performance of his HF2V.

The excellent work that Jim K9YC did with his analysis and presentation -
everything I agree with, both from a theoretical and a practical (50 years
DXing) point of view - but remember that this analysis is for 40mx, 20mx and
10mx.

What needs to be considered is that on 80mx  (also 160mx) and to a lesser
extent 40mx, the angle of arrival and takeoff for DX signals is actually
very much higher than one would expect.

The ARRL antenna handbook for example, quotes figures like:   for 40mx
99% of the time signal below 35 degrees, 50% of time above 25 degrees and
99% of the time above 10 degrees.

These figures have been backed up by countless research papers over the
years

For 80mx and 160mx the signals are at even greater elevation angles.    (and
I should add, varies with time as the ionosphere rises/tilts/ Dlayer
appears, sporadic clouds in summer etc. etc.)

******************

Although there are many other factors to consider with ionospheric
propagation, if we take for example Jim's analysis
http://k9yc.com/VerticalHeight.pdf  of a 40mx vertical ground plane antenna
at ground level, 33 feet and 40 feet, we find that:

City ground   from 33 -> 50 degrees the ground level antenna outperforms the
33 feet antenna
Rocky ground   from 25 -> 60  degrees the ground level antenna outperforms
the 33 feet antenna
Average ground from  23 -> 57 degrees the ground level antenna outperforms
the 33 feet antenna
Pastoral ground  from 19 -> 57 degrees the ground level antenna outperforms
the 33 feet antenna
Very good ground  from  17 ->  60 degrees the ground level antenna
outperforms the 33 feet antenna

As I have said, there are many other factors to consider, but with some 50%
of signals often arriving and departing at above 25 degrees, it is really
only city situations where you can clearly state that the elevated ground
plane will almost always outperform the ground mounted antenna.

>From years of experience using vertical antennas,  this high angle effect on
lower frequency signals is definitely something that needs to be considered
and especially on 80mx (and 160mx).

Jim's excellent analysis shows quite clearly what the trend is as you move
from poor to good local ground conditions.

My question related to just how effective measuring vertically polarised
signals at approximately zero elevation angle is with regard to DXing on
80mx and 40mx.

Given the choice, most would opt for an elevated vertical.  However on 80mx
and to a lesser extent on 40mx a ground mounted antenna on good ground can
be an effective DX antenna.

Cheers

Peter  VK3QI