Re: [TowerTalk] Bundling of tower coax and control lines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bundling of tower coax and control lines
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 04:42:18 -0500
On 11/16/2013 8:24 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
Roger, Your UV is not nearly the intensity of the 5000 ft high desert QTH. What works for you will not work with the intense UV of the high desert.

That I know and he did say he used non UV resistant cables, but all that I said is applicable regardless of altitude. If a cable is already showing deterioration, it's time to go with new, UV resistant before adding the Tesco spiral wrap (I forget the name) Cables that are true UV resistant should do well at 5000 feet. Cables that already showing deterioration should be replaced.

Non UV resistant coax and cables only last a couple years down here in the low lands. Inexpensive extension cords, last about a year outside before the jacket starts breaking off.

Non UV resistant cables need complete coverage for protection and particularly so at the higher altitudes.

BTW I made no recommendations that would work for me that wouldn't work for him. I mentioned I had some old stuff, but certainly did not recommend it.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Ray, I think the dripline is something to consider. I think it should be much more survivable than typical water hoses which the UV eats quickly. I have had HD clear plastic tubing turn to sticky goo in under a year. I have used some 1/2 and 3/4 inch black plastic tubing in drip systems and it lasted with no apparent damage for several years. The black plastic wire covering "tubing" (wire loom) with a slit on one side lasts for several years. I always found it necessary to put some tape around it every so often or to use a few distributed tie wraps to keep the enclosed wires from popping out when the bundle was flexed. Maybe you could ferret out the mfg and buy it in longer lengths that the shorter ones at the auto parts store.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Roger (K8RI) on TT