Re: [TowerTalk] 2 Meter Balun Question

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 Meter Balun Question
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 07:19:34 -0600
I have used a mast head mounted shunt fed 1/2 wave marine band antenna (Metz) on our sailboat interchangeably (1X2 coax switch) between my 2M and marine band VHF rigs. At a height of 50 ft or so it worked quite well on both bands. The coax ran inside the aluminum mast. No ferrites were used.

I had no observed problems so I can't say how anything would have been improved with ferrites. Ferrites certainly would not hurt anything even if they didn't help. My 25 watt marine rig worked the various coastal marine telephone installations quite well at distances of 100 miles or more. Likewise I worked mountain top repeaters at ranges up to nearly 200 miles.

No, I have no polar plots of radiation patterns, charts of field strength, or VSWR charts but the setup worked reliably over a period of a couple decades so that should validate its efficacy.

The only problem I had was on one occasion when I had to disconnect the coax from the back of the marine VHF due to static discharge/sparking. The antenna was a DC short to the aluminum mast and stainless steel standing rigging. The boat was fiberglass so the chain plates were insulated. In retrospect it is obvious to me that I should have bonded the mast to the keel and the static electricity collected would have been drained to the ocean. Hopefully I have gained some knowledge in the intervening 35 or so years.

Short version: Try it. Perhaps with and without ferrites if you are feeling experimental.

73

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Tom