Re: [TowerTalk] Slipp-Nott

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Slipp-Nott
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:29:40 -0600
I have a T10 on a nominal 2" mast. It has been up since around 1999. It was put up before SlippNott was available.

I am in Kansas City area, subject to weird WX including occasional ice loading and high winds. The T10 does not have much wind load but I think can put some leverage on the boom.

A few times in the life of my T10, it (or the mast) slipped, moving as much as 45 degrees. It's a heavy tower, rotor, thrust bearing, good hardware, all heavy duty install which has withstood a lot of torture. I repositioned T10 and reset the nuts/bolts, and all has been good for a year. After the last bolt-nut reunion, I couldn't move the T10 boom no matter how hard I leaned or swung on it. Original T10 hardware was still holding fine. Whatever made the antenna (but a smaller VHF array NOT move) is a mystery...go figure.

After that event I thought the SlippNott might be good preventative maintenance, but I never did anything about it, and since then have not had any wind-related rotation. So I'm also interested in the value-add for SlipNott + type of antenna/

73
dan
k0dan

-----Original Message----- From: john@kk9a.com