Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 06:52:39 -0800
On 1/4/14 6:02 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
A very robust cage you have there, David.  Could you site where the 40
times diameter is written?  I learned by watching and asking questions
of contractors and was told 25 times diameter by more than one and no
other value. I will have to look for a reference as I have no alternate
experience. Thanks for mentioning 40 as that provides incentive to do
some research. Oh by the way... although I demand code or better
whenever possible in all endeavors the only inspection I have had
building two houses and installing a tower has been by the DEQ
(Department of Environmental Quality) who inspect and permit septic
systems (my installer was lisc to self inspect.)

googling "rebar overlap" or "rebar lap splice" turns up a wealth of conflicting information.

You might look at UBC 1912.1-1912.15

Apparently the 40xdiameter is an older rule of thumb/code and modern codes vary the length of splice depending on the kind of steel, strength of concrete, application, amount of concrete cover, and spacing of the bars.

There's also differences depending on the year of the code and what the application is (e.g. rebar in a masonry wall footing might be different than in a flat slab might be different than in a poured concrete wall, etc.)

Here's a chart
http://www.monolithic.com/stories/rebar-splicing-and-rebar-sizing
they talk a lot about complying with code, but don't say which one.

Here's a whole handbook on splicing:
http://www.daytonsuperior.com/Artifacts/DS_Rebar_Splicing_HB.pdf

Page 10 has what you're looking for.