Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto

To: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 09:38:45 -0800
Interesting tidbit from some Googling:

".... reading a rebar should go something like this:

The first symbol is a "production mill symbol." It is usually a letter. The examples would be an "NN" for Newcor Nebraska, "NU" for Newcor in Utah, "L," most likely stands for Latvia.

The next symbol is the rebar size. This is stated in numbers. The example would be a #4 rebar would be a typical half inch in diameter, a #6 rebar would be a three quarter inch diameter, and the equation continues as every eighth of an inch in diameter is considered an added number to the rebar's diameter.

Let's try a really big example for numbering rebar by size. A #18 rebar would be two and one quarter inches in diameter. The size of rebar mentioned in your question was a #6, which is three quarters of an inch in diameter.

The next symbol to look for on the rebar is the billet symbol. It should be the capital letter "s" and refers to "steel billet." Here is the part of the answer where I hope to explain the differing pull out behaviors you mention. The tensile strength of the rebar will be stamped next. It may be a grade 40 or a grade 60. The grades 40 and 60 refer to the yield strength respectively, 40,000 psi and 60,000 psi tensile strength....

The final marking on the rebar is the country of origin. This will be spelled out and should be self-explanatory. The examples would be Sweden, Latvia, Mexico, or my favorite, a domestic produced rebar with a small mill stamp on it and no country of origin stamp at all...."

I've never seen ANY markings on Home Depot rebar, but admit I haven't thoroughly examined a 20 footer.

Grant KZ1W