Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base
From: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 23:47:31 -0700
Yes, I've used molten sulphur in that manner quite satisfactorily. Especially good when you want to bolt down (via angle brackets) wood uprights (6"x6') for a porch or large overhang. I think that it would be more satisfactorily than epoxy as it does expand when cooling.

I've also used it for the drying agent when drying home grown apricots. Halved 'cots were placed on small HB wooden trays and stacked up under a quite large cardboard box. Underneath the stack was placed a coffee can about half full of the sulphur powder, which was set on fire. This was allowed to smoke overnight, and then the trays were set upon the roof and allowed to dry for about a week.

When I lived in Mountain View CA we had 7 apricot trees, and didn't thin them properly the first year we lived there. We ended up with over 200 # of dried 'cots and sold about another 2000 # of fresh picked ones to the local cannery.

Cutting 'cots proved to be good summer jobs for my three pre-teen sons, as many neighbors, as well as local orchards, also had apricot trees.

Chuck, W7CS