[TowerTalk] Fwd: N2JFS photos of bolts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: N2JFS photos of bolts
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 13:30:31 -0500 (EST)
I was recommended but Universal to use galvanized bolts as the SS are not
available in high enough grade. (I don't remember now what grade they
recommended.) In my mind I will replace the bolts in a few (maybe 10 - 15)
years. That will also give me an idea what condition they are.

I don't know how important the grade issue is and in my case I think I already
have both "belt and suspenders" as I have a self-supporting tower equipped with
guy wires. (The tower should be able to sustain 135 mph even if the base gives
in.)

SS bolts are not a panacea. Even if the bolt doesn't corrode, which it actually
might anyhow, it might damage the surrounding aluminum. Has something to do
with Redox potential. The problem is that the Redox potential is not stable for
aluminum and SS steel, in other word, you can not predict what will corrode
when you connect and aluminum piece to a SS piece. When dirt cover the two
metals it will form the destructive electrolyte, which will cause the
corrosion. Depending on what the dirt contain you will get different results
(place of corrosion). If you can keep the dirt away (not necessary easy) you
can prevent or slow the corrosion rate (needless to say, really).

As a final note: SS needs access to air to stay stainless. A thin oxide layer
on the steel surface serves as the corrosion prevention. If you cover the steel
and the protective layer get damaged the corrosion can set in very fast (know
that from experience, not from a tower, though).

Hans - N2JFS