[TowerTalk] N2JFS photos of bolts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] N2JFS photos of bolts
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:31:15 +0000 (GMT)
Wow..those photos bring back lots of memories from the late 60's/early 70's..

I had an aluminum (Heights) crankup tower (84 feet?).

I noticed some "rust" one year and pulled out the bolt that came with the
tower.
They looked well on the way to what you showed in your photos.

Yeah...you can't use steel bolts on an aluminum tower..this happens every time.

So I replaced all of the bolts with SS.  Worked great and let me sleep at night.

However, I was always worried about the Al to Steel junction at the base.
Also, the steel
triangles at the top/bottom of each (telescopic) section "rusted" (dissimilar
metals - eaten
away) pretty badly.  I had SS triangles fabricated, but by the time they
arrived, I went off
to college and wen I returned, I found a greenhouse where my tower used to be.
:-)

So I bought some taper sections and no longer had a crank up.  My dad was kind
enough
to let me "move the tower" to the other side of the house...again using SS
bolts..but still had
the same issue with the base.

When I got my own place, I bought steel crankup towers.  Heavier but no worries
about the
aluminum eating away the steel.

de Doug KR2Q