Re: [TowerTalk] New Fair-Rite Clamp-On -- BAD NEWS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Fair-Rite Clamp-On -- BAD NEWS
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 07:15:44 -0500
That is bad news, a large snap on would have been nice.  I do not see a
figure 4 on their data sheet.
http://www.fair-rite.com/catalog_pdfs/Round%20Cable%20Snap-Its_Lower%20&%20Broadband%20Frequencies%201-300%20MHz%20(31%20material).PDF

John KK9A

To:      'TopBand' <topband@contesting.com>, towertalk@contesting.com,
Reflector Elecraft <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject:         [TowerTalk] New Fair-Rite Clamp-On -- BAD NEWS
From:    Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date:    Thu, 09 Jan 2014 11:39:19 -0800

Several months ago, I put together a large group purchase of Fair-Rite
cores, including the new part number 2631181381. which the catalog lists
as a "Round Cable Snap-It" with an i.d. of 1.4-in, an o.d. of 2.4-in, and
2.5-in long. We were quoted $9.30 for 420 pieces, which is less than half
the cost of the five #31 toroids that would be electrically equivalent.
Ward, N0AX, saw my announcement on an email reflector and noted it in his
Contest Update.

Turns out that the new part was too good to true. My delivery arrived last
night, and it's not what's listed in two respects. First, there's no
clamping assembly. Second, a box that is labeled as containing 30 pieces
contains 30 HALF cylinders, two of which are required to make a choke, and
they must be held in place by tape or ty-wraps. I'm returning the entire
shipment for credit.

Please copy this email to other ham reflectors to which you have access,
so that any others who may have ordered these parts that they are NOT as
listed in the catalog, and NOT generally useful to us.

73, Jim K9YC