Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for M/F 8 pin connectors for rotor

To: "Chris" <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for M/F 8 pin connectors for rotor
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 18:33:57 -0500
TT:

I used these same trailer hitch connectors for my rotator installation. I bought three sets: one for use at the rotator shelf; one for inside the shack on the back of the controller; and one for the bottom of the tower (I have this connector set inside a Hoffman enclosure along with my antenna switch and lightning suppressors.)

The need for connectors at the top of the tower is obvious. The set at the controller lets me bring the control box from the shack out to the tower. The set at the bottom of the tower lets me connect the controller outside at the tower so I can see the antennas rotate through the full circle if need be. Plus, the trailer connector set at the controller is a lot cheaper than buying another controller for outside use. This hint came from TowerTalk denizens over ten years ago, not an original idea of mine. (Giving credit where credit is due.)

Also, I did not cut the connector wires at 90 degrees across the cable bunch in the middle but at an angle. This let me install butt splice connectors to the main cable run so the connectors didn't bunch up against each other. That way I was able to lay the splices against the cable bundle and have a slim profile to which I applied electrical tape to protect the splices. Hopefully the sketch below sayed intact showing how I staggered the splices along the bundle at each connector set:

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris" <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>