Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Anti-climbing technology

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Anti-climbing technology
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:03:41 -0500

I've been following this thread and wonder at the usefulness and practicality of these anti climb devices, regulations, and liability.

A 5' barrier would stop little kids, but not teenagers. I can reach, rather could reach, high enough at 65 and had the strength to pull myself up over 5' climb panels. I'd go for at least 8' (Just the length of a plywood sheet- Waterproof with lots of paint.). For a guyed tower that's no biggie as they fit tightly against the tower. Easy to take off? That means even a 10 year old could probably do it, although the average mechanical ability from our overly protected kids is in doubt so it might be beyond the ingenuity of most teenagers. My apologies to those who do have a few smarts left despite our educational system.

So that means some sort of locking device. How about cable locks similar to those used for bicycles and firearms? One at the top and one at mid level. Use fasteners similar to my tool boxes and gun cases to join the panels. They are simple and easy to use and as you have the cable locks they only have to hold the panels in place.

Crank up towers present a problem as the crank, or cranking mechanism is usually at a handy height which gets in the way of anti climb panels. Leave a cutout for the motor? That just created a handy step about 4 feet off the ground. Better add 4 more feet to the panels. Put the motor inside the panels. Now they have to be structurally sound in high winds, or with someone pushing against them.

How about permanently attaching them and use a ladder to get over them. Just don't forget and leave the ladder unattended.

So far we've looked at a simple approach that will most likely keep the neighborhood rug rats off the tower, but nothing structurally sound enough to keep a vandal, or determined teenager off.

The next step involves a bit more money as the price of steel is now ridiculous when you can get $350 for a junk car.

A simple, rectangular frame of steel angle covered with 12 to 16 gauge or 1/16th inch sheet steel with substantial hinges at each junction (with the pins on the inside). A good support and a couple of padlocks in hasps, would allow one side to open. Yes, it's heavy and expensive, even if you have a welder and build it yourself. The same thing could be done with a 8 or 9' chain link fence installed in panels, or two sides contiguous with a panel on the 3rd side that could be opened for access. Forgo the razor wire on top. That reads liability and attractive nuisance in bright red capital letters, although wires on an outward tilt are good. Of course this can be expanded to a fenced in enclosure.

For a remote station, I'd vote for the steel panels and a monitoring/alarm system. Wire or bolt cutters will make quick work of the chain link fence and/or padlocks. The panel that opens could be positioned to allow the tower to tilt through it. It's a fine line deviding rugged anti climb panels and an enclosure.

I'm sure there are many on the reflector with more practical ideas.

No enclosure or anti climb panel is 100% effective, but they do serve as a deterrent with some being more effective than others.

73

Roger (K8RI)

---
is active.