Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Anti-climbing technology

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Anti-climbing technology
From: EZ Rhino <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:12:33 -0700
Yeah!!  Good idea, use one of these, it will bring every gun owner in the
county to your property:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAMiTfSU7ZA

Chris
KF7P

On Jan 21, 2014, at 15:41 , Patrick Greenlee wrote:

As a minimum you need to do the industry accepted practice or due diligence
whichever is more. This will help with liability issues but not fully protect
you.  The way our legal system works even if you have a signed document from a
child's parents absolving you of liability it won't protect you as the courts
have often ruled that you can't sign away your rights.  If something happens to
a kid the sympathy of the court and jury will be with the little darling not
you the creator  of the attractive nuisance. As a rich hobbyist with so much
discretionary income to put into attractive nuisances the jury will look at
your "deep pockets" and those of your insurance company. There better be an
insurance company involved and the policy better have deep pockets.

You had better not put barbed or razor wire or broken glass into an anti climb
structure or do anything able to be construed by a wild imagination to be a
booby trap.

Luckily I am in a very rural area where in general there is little trespass due
to a realistic fear of being shot at. This is no deterrent to teenagers who
know they are invulnerable.

I  am considering extremely loud motor driven sirens and strobe lights similar
to those which are a part of my intrusion alarm.  By attracting attention
climbers may be dissuaded from the attempt. The alarm sirens may be made quite
loud as the nearest neighbors are over 1/4 mile away and if the sirens aren't
loud enough to be heard by neighbors they do not pose a credible deterent in
the form of the miscreants being seen..

I have a particularly attractive nuisance that is about to be set up in one of
my pastures, a 40 ft tall triangular tower that is 14 ft on centers at ground
level and about 10 ft at the 40 ft level where I will install an observation
platform and a crank up tower of smaller dimension but taller.

I want to build a set of stairs leading to the top but have a convenient way to
easily deny or permit their use.  I haven't figured that out yet.  As this 40
ft base will not be tilted after installation, placing anti-climb panels to
hide the x braces within 10 ft or so of the ground might be good for the tower
proper. Maybe the bottom 10 ft of stairs should be hinged to fold up or be
hoisted up 10 ft or so into the air.

Suggestions welcome.

Patrick NJ5G

-----Original Message----- From: Roger (K8RI) on TT