[TowerTalk] hosting a commercial service on my tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] hosting a commercial service on my tower
From: "Steve Baughn" <baughn@centurylink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 21:29:17 -0500
All,

I also am not a telecommunications lawyer but wanted to share some limited
experience. I retired from a law enforcement agency and recall when a
contractor knocked down our 170 ft tower. Along came a wireless carrier and
offered to construct a new tower, buy us new antennas and feedline, maintain
the tower and even pay us about $600/month lease.. I am located in Ohio and one
wireless carrier contracted with the Ohio State Highway Patrol to replace all
their towers with brand new ones, new antennas and feedlines just for letting
them put up the towers. This was to “avoid” all regulatory issues they would
normally have to deal with. The carrier definitely wants 24/7 access, will
probably want emergency power and access to fuel to run it. Seems to me the
biggest issue would be one that has already been raised here-liability. All
this is usually spelled out in the lease along with language that if any
equipment installed by the commercial service causes interference then they
either have to remedy it or remove the offending equipment. I do agree with
what Bill K9RZ said as far as installing a commercial carrier on an existing
amateur tower. Many government agencies, including the township where I live
would be less than happy if they found I had commercial carriers on my amateur
tower as I was not required to even have a zoning permit-as long as it was for
amateur use.

Thanks and 73,

Steve Baughn WD8NPL