Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Back of desk grounding buss

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Back of desk grounding buss
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 22:35:30 -0700
Ian wrote:
One more time: the main purpose of the strip along the back of the desk
is to ensure that all the equipment metalwork is closely connected
<together> at all frequencies from DC to RF. The best term for this is
"BONDING".

YES! But bonding chassis of the interconnected equipment is BETTER.

(Thoughtful authors try to avoid  calling it "grounding" or "earthing"
because a connection to the Mother Planet is not the main aim. You
should connect the bonding strip to a mains safety ground as well, but
that was not your main reason for having the bonding strip.)

YES!

I wrote almost exactly this for the ARRL Handbook and Ed Hare vetoed it because it was in conflict with what he and ARRL had been teaching for years. I told them to take my name off the book.

I pushed for peer review, and peer review subsequently agreed with my writing. :)

73, Jim K9YC