Re: [TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 09:36:35 -0700
That experience counts for lightning protection of commercial installations with big budgets, setups that don't change, no local analog audio, and in a broadcast environment, balanced audio. But that's not most ham stations. We have limited budgets, we do everything ourselves, we change our setups as we try new things, buy new gear, have lots of stuff interconnected, like computers, rigs, amps, audio processors, SO2R boxes, and all of the interconnections are UNbalanced. Moreover, if it's FM broadcast, cellular, or VHF/UHF 2-way, most of those antennas are high in the air and have nulls in the direction of the equipment, whereas our antennas often produce significant field strength in our shacks.

Those interconnections, especially analog audio, is one big reason why chassis-to-chassis bonding is far better than running individual wires to a common point (or bus bar).

And there is nothing about that chassis-to-chassis bonding that is less good than individual wires to a common point. Remember that with those wires to a common point, we still have a loop to create magnetic coupling -- it's formed by the interconnections between the boxes and those long wires to the common point.

73, Jim K9YC