Re: [TowerTalk] 75 or 70 Ohm twinlead or ladderline cable - does it exis

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75 or 70 Ohm twinlead or ladderline cable - does it exist?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 16:50:21 -0700
On 3/25/2014 4:40 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
I wonder if we are talking about the same 'twisted pair?'

Probably not.

The wire I was talking about was the old telephone wire they had back in the 50's and 60's that came from the pole to the house. I think most of it was probably number 12 or so copperweld wire. It had a funny insulation - almost like tarred rubber on some of it.

I'm talking about twisted pair generally -- much of the world runs on twisted pair of one sort or another. Small signal audio typically uses #24 - #28, as does CAT5/6/7. Loudspeaker wiring in pro systems uses #10 - #13, depending on the length of the runs. If I were feeding an antenna with twisted pair and didn't care about visibility, I'd use #10 for low loss. But if visibility was an issue (i.e., a stealth antenna), #22 with a good quality enamel would work for moderate power levels.

73, Jim K9YC