Re: [TowerTalk] Hustler 6-BTV installation

To: Phillip Zminda <phil-z@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hustler 6-BTV installation
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 22:24:12 -0400
I did the opposite a while back, took down the 6BTV for a 43' Vertical.
1. Yes. With a good ground.lots of radials, don't be surprised if the
antenna needs to be shorter than you can adjust it. You might need to move
the traps, at least the 10m one. There's instructions for that in the
antenna manual.
2. I used the DX Engineering bulkhead that mounts on the screws on the
bottom of the antenna.
3. I did something similar - I used 8 large type 31 beads.

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Phillip Zminda <phil-z@comcast.net> wrote:

> I ordered a Hustler 6-BTV trap vertical to replace an existing
> installation of a 43 foot vertical. I have 60 radials from 30 to 60 feet
> long with a DX Engineering radial plate. The antenna is fed with about 100
> ft of Bury-Flex coax. Here are my questions:
> 1. With a large number of radials is it likely that tuning will be
> critical requiring tuning of the traps? I have an Array Solutions AIM 4170
> analyzer and an MFJ-259 for tuning swr.
> 2. Any issues with using a bulkhead connector on the radial plate to
> connect my existing coax?
> 3. I have a number of type 31 clamp-on cores  and a few 2.4 in. toroids.
> Is it worthwhile to use them for a coax choke? How many turns? Any problem
> using RG-8x  for the choke? I currently run 100 watts.
>
> Any other recommendations appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil N3ZP

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
*"Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn." *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.