Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Ladder with Parallel Coax?

To: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Ladder with Parallel Coax?
From: Richard Cariello <rcariello@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 11:36:24 -0400
Tony,
A friend of mine used twin coax lines for the entire run from his shack to the
antenna locations on the towers. I recall he used a Johnson Match Box (balanced
tuner) at the shack end soldering both coax shields together and then
connecting them to the ground lug of the tuner which was also connected to the
station ground system. The two center conductors of each coax line went to the
match box inputs. It worked perfectly also allowing him to tune out any
reflected power making his equipment happier. I am not sure what he did with
the coax shields at the antenna end. I would solder them together which I
believe would stabilize the coax lines impedance with less effects from the
surrounding area. I would also tape the two coax line together at points to
prevent the coax lines from separating. I would NOT connect the antenna end
coax shield to the tower or anything else. Just seal it from any weather. Also
you would no longer need a Balun to connect to the antenna. Another point
  is the system should be allot more stable from changes from the weather and
much easier to install then any twin lead open wire line installation. On the
negative side it will cost you double for the coax and additional cost for the
tuner.
Rich AA2MF
P.S. Two lines of RG-11, 75/2=37.5 ohms. Two lines of RG-8, 50/2=25 ohms. Not
much of a difference to worry about.