Re: [TowerTalk] Poor eHam reviews of the AV 480

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Poor eHam reviews of the AV 480
From: EZ Rhino <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 21:47:40 -0600
I've always thought the implementation of reviews on eHam could stand a
revision.

First of all, "reviews" by people who admit they do not own the product in
question have no place being there and should be removed (I have actually read
some by people who admit they don't own the product in question!  Don't you
have anything better to do?).  The same for anonymous reviews.

Next, I would like to see a way for the manufacturers to respond to reviews.
This should be limited in length and not allowed to become an argument or
personal attacks.  This can do one of two things:  Either it will allow the
manufacturer to shine in the way they handle the situation, or it will make
them look worse, all in the way it is handled.  (The phrase "give enough rope
to hang yourself" comes to mind).

Last, I wonder if the 1-5 score could be broken down a bit, like adding a score
for customer service, product quality, and performance, for instance.

This requires some input from someone to manage, which I imagine is one reason
why nothing is done over there.  I am certain there are plenty of people who
would volunteer to watch categories of products and do the managing, though.

Chris
KF7P

On Apr 9, 2014, at 18:19 , Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> How do we over ride the poor reviews from hams who probably have no
> idea of how to set up a vertical?

With only three reviews, the AV-680 suffers because of one bad review
for an issue (MFJ/Hy-Gain quality control) that has no bearing on the
antenna's performance.

I'd suggest looking at the reviews for the AV-640, AV-620, CushCraft
R9, R8, R7, R5, R6000 and R7000 all of which are essentially the same
antenna with different frequency coverage.  While this class of OCF
verticals is not going to outperform a small beam at 40 or 50 feet on
the higher bands or a full size vertical with a mile of wire in the
ground on 80 and 40, it is a well though out design that does make
contacts ... an old beat-up R5 that I dragged around the country for
20 years is responsible for a large part of making DXCC honor roll
and hitting 2500 on DXCC Challenge.  In all that time I've never had
an amplifier or antennas other than the R5 (or R7 and R6000) and a
low (40' in the trees) 160/80/40 trapped inverted V.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV